Sunday 18 December 2011

Upcycled Christmas Wreaths



Today was the day to make a Christmas wreath.  I had been driving down my road for a couple of days , admiring the wreaths on my neighbours doors, when a friend of mine placed a gorgeous handmade up cycled wreath on her facebook page (actually I suspect it was there already and I missed it).

As soon as I saw it, I knew that was the wreath for me.

In 2008 I had purchased some wreath frames to make holly wreaths, so I was all good to go structurally, I just needed to work out what fabrics to use.

The one I used was similar to this, without the embellishments.



Going through the rag bag I found a size 8 shirt from one of my daughters (the youngest is 13 so that gives you an indication of it's age), and some Christmas looking gingham and ribbons from days gone by.

This is such a simple craft that children could easily do it.

I read on a couple of sites that you could use an old wire coat hanger.  And my friend Michelle who did the original one I admired, had used a piece of repurposed hose from a vacuum cleaner.

All you need to do is cut/tear strips of fabric into desired lengths.  I did different lengths as I don't like things to look polished.

The dark red fabric is the shirt.

There is a red and green gingham.

Some strips of green tartan ribbon.

Some small strips of calico.

With a piece of ribbon tied on to hang it onto my door.

This is the finished effect


And there you have it, a shabby, upcycled Christmas wreath.


But wait there is more....

I also found some organza that I had tucked away to make worship flags some years ago.

So I thought I would give a non traditional wreath a go.

It is made exactly the same way, but with strips of organza.

Just to prove that Christmas can be any colour.





There you go, a morning well spent tearing and tying up fabric.  A very therapeutic task indeed, akin to playing with play dough.

Now, where is my vacuum? 
True to form, I seem to have mess everywhere. 




No comments:

Post a Comment